iTrust Sundays (High School Sunday School)
iTrust Sundays Mission Statement:
When you go off to college and beyond, your Christian faith will be intellectually and existentially challenged—by professors, friends, life situations and more. Our mission is to equip you so that you can confidently say, with the Apostle Paul, “for I know whom I have believed, and I am convinced that he is able to guard until that Day what has been entrusted to me.” (2 Tim 1: 12b) This equipping includes the idea of exposing and defending (apologia) every challenge we know of, or that you ask about, so that in the future you never find yourself wondering, “Why didn’t my church tell me about that?”
iTrust Sundays Foundational Relational Principle:
We will treat you as adults.
- You should be treated as adults (“adolescence” is a 20th century invention)
- We want you to know that the church respects you to that degree; we also hope that you will embrace the seriousness of the topics.
- This “doesn’t mean” several things:
- It doesn’t mean we won’t have fun
- It doesn’t mean it’s “boring” (at least, we’ll try hard to keep it interesting)
- We will tend to use video as much as possible as opposed to lecture format or even written/reading assignments (though books will be brought to class and presented as sources for more information)
- We will tend to keep the lessons shorter (targeting 30 minutes max) to allow for attention, discussion, and social interaction.
- It doesn’t mean we don’t explain everything as clearly as we can—dumbing things down doesn’t benefit anyone.
The Four PILLARS of Curriculum:
1) THINKING WELL
- Logic; fallacies; false dichotomies
- How to think about post-modern clichés (e.g., relativism, pluralism, what is truth?)
- The reliability of our documents and facts
- Why what we believe is true
4) REAL LIFE
- What do we believe?
- Christianity in general
- Lutheran theology specifically
- Why do we believe it? (Connects with the EVIDENCE pillar)
- Implications, what do we do with this?
- Social outreach (loving neighbor); e.g., “Making Abortion Unthinkable” series by Greg Koukl
- Debates (John W. Montgomery, others)
- tough questions / challenges; e.g., Ravi Zacharias has numerous college “forum” DVDs with questions from the students
The Goals of the Curriculum:
1) LEARNING SCRIPTURE
2) LUTHERAN IDENTITY
- Getting God’s Word in your ears, in your eyes, in your mind, in your being.
- Comparing our faith and other faiths to what the Bible teaches
- How do I give a defense for the hope that is within me?
5) CULTURAL ISSUES
- Not being led astray by wolves in sheep’s clothing
- Christian Ethics: two realms, vocation, God’s masks, loving neighbor, internet, sex, abortion, homosexuality, marriage, etc.
iTrust Photo Gallery
Periodic Sundays, roughly once a month, 4:00–8:00 pm, A Month of Sundays—Cephalopods & Cinema: we share a meal and watch a full-length motion picture together. Usually at the church in Trust Hall. Check the church calendar for specifics. A Month of Sundays . . . whereby the Squids will meet once a month for an activity/study/discussion and dinner.
Check the church calendar for details about bake sales, car washes, field trips, and more!
From Above 2013
Jesus answered Nicodemus, “...unless one is born from above he cannot see the kingdom of God.” (John 3:3 )
You have been born of water. You have been born of the Spirit. You have been born From Above!
You were born of God, born anew, born from above in the Baptismal Font. You are alive now, eternally alive, never to die ever again for you already died in Christ. As surely as He is risen from the dead, you will rise from the dead. In fact, you already have risen from the dead, by faith. Now, you live eternally From Above, in service to others, just as God in Christ has saved you.
At the 2013 Higher Things Conferences, we'll be rejoicing in who you are in Christ: You are born From Above.
The conference dates and locations are as follows:
University of Scranton in Scranton, Pennsylvania
June 25-28, 2013
Purdue University in West Lafayette, Indiana
July 9-12, 2013
Pacific Lutheran University in Tacoma, Washington
July 16-19, 2013
Check out their website http://fromabove2013.org for more information.
From Above is where you were born in the waters of Holy Baptism. From Above is how you live before God and before others. You are baptized. You are forgiven.
Will you be going to the Higher Things From Above Conferences in 2013?